By Kristen Oelschlagel
A date has been set to open the long anticipated Quinte Sports and Wellness Centre but will the wait really be worth it.
Mark Fluhrer, Belleville’s director of recreation, culture and community services, said the opportunity to get money for the facility came from the federal infrastructure program and they seized that opportunity.
“The money from the program allowed us to go from good to great,” Fluhrer said.
Here’s are some of the new and unique services the Quinte Sports and Wellness Centre will offer:
– a state of the art aquatics centre with an eight lane, 25 metre pool, a therapy pool and a preschool pool
– a year round indoor rubberized track that can be heated in the winter
– a large gymnasium space that provides the opportunity for large events, such as cultural or sporting events, in the Quite region
– physiotherapy and massage services, a pro-shop and healthy choice food services
– two new NHL sized ice pads, in addition to the Wally Denver and Yardmen Arenas
– a dedicated senior’s centre and youth drop-in room
Fluhrer said it is truly a community facility.
The building, which is now over 330,000 square feet, will also be more energy efficient. It is scheduled to open on August 20 with a grand opening celebration in September.