- QNetNews.ca - http://www.qnetnews.ca -

No major concern at Loyalist after Novartis flu shot recall

By Alexa Hansen Forson

Loyalist College nurse Lauren Deans says the flu shots used at the school aren't the ones being recalled. Photo by Sam Normand.

Loyalist College is using a different flu vaccine than the one that has been recalled elsewhere, says Loyalist College nurse Lauren Deans.

The college is using Fluviral from GlaxoSmithKline.

Novartis, sold under the brand names FluAd and Agriflu, was pulled from clinics after reports of small clumps being found in the vaccine.

FluAd and Agriflu only account for 18 per cent of the vaccine supply in Ontario. Two other vaccines make up for the remaining 82 per cent.

Despite the recall, officials are saying anyone injected with the vaccine are not at risk and the small clumps found in the vaccine aren’t unusual. Reports of problems were first reported in Italy. Health Canada announced Friday all current Novartis vaccines were discontinued.

The college’s flu clinic opened October 15. Health Canada officials are saying the recall is not meant to scare people away from the vaccine and should still consider getting it.

Comments