BELLEVILLE – A Prince Edward County family managed to escape unscathed after their vehicle burst into flames Thursday afternoon.
Corey Davis of the Belleville Fire Department said a man was driving with his two daughters when he noticed smoke in the car. He pulled into the parking lot of the Westside Cafe on Avondale Road, and the family got out of the 2006 Ford Explorer just before it went up in a blaze.
Neither the family nor anyone else was injured.
Davis explained that the vehicle is made primarily with aluminum parts, which burn well. He added that a fuel line had burst in the SUV, fueling the fire and making it particularly difficult to contain.
The vehicle was totally destroyed by the blaze, but the family had insurance on it, Davis said.