- QNetNews.ca - http://www.qnetnews.ca -

Belleville homeowner puts out fire with snow

By Emilie Quesnel [1]

BELLEVILLE – A homeowner on Gavey Street extinguished a garage fire by shovelling snow onto the flames late Friday night.

The Belleville Fire Department [2] responded to a 911 call about the fire just after 11 p.m.

By the time firefighters arrived the flames were already out, according to Insp, Tim Vanhecke of the department. The owner of the house had put out the fire using shovelfuls of snow and finished the job with a neighbour’s fire extinguisher, Vanhecke said in a news release.

There were no injuries.

A car inside the garage was the cause of the fire, Vanhecke said. Firefighters disconnected the car’s battery in order to avoid the risk of a second fire.

The garage’s interior sustained only minimal smoke damage, but the car wasn’t salvageable.